Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Writing for the Ear ... Aiming for the mind

Of all the presentations one can make the most challenging would appear to be the persuasive kind. After all, you're trying to convince people of something to which many may be apathetic or even hostile.

Ironically, persuasion is a key factor in almost any presentation - at least any I've ever scripted. Even the most straightforward instructional video -- "Basic Operation of the Thingamabob" -- must answer questions lurking in the audience subconscious, such as:

How will this help me?
What can you tell me about the Thingamabob that I don't already know?
Why should I pay any attention to this?

-----

Between the never-ending political and ubiquitious marketing campaigns, we're constantly subjected to persuasive messages and every one has a tag line. Most are logical, some are memorable and a few are, well, incomprensible. To wit, the car company ads. Earlier I commented on Toyota's. Here are some more:

Jeep. The things we make, make us.

Saab. Move your mind.

Love. It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru.


Whatever happened to slogans like "See the USA ..." and "Quality is Job 1?" Perhaps the ad geniuses figure the more we have to think about a tag line, the better. Well, I've pondered my three examples and here's what I think:

Jeep. The things we make, make us.
(You are what you drive.)

Saab. Move your mind.
(At least once a day.)

Love. It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru.
(And it's what makes all of those little Subarus.)

No comments: