Thursday, October 10, 2013

Another word that just doesn't sound right

I'll admit I'm torn. If there's a choice between saying something with more words or fewer I'll almost always go with fewer.

Almost. I just read an exception. It was in a job description for a person whose responsibilities include ideating concepts and programs.

I don't know about you but I would have never ideated that expression even if it does save a couple words.

Likewise, when I read or hear about someone incenting another to do something, it doesn't incent me, it incenses me. Why do we need ideate and incent when we have words like create and motivate?

That was a rhetorical question because I already know the answer. As our modes of communication change, so do the words we use. Hence, a few of my own suggestions:

Realitate -- to turn almost anything into a reality show.

De-glutenate -- to take the grain out of one's menu.

Successerate -- to design one's looks, speech and wardrobe for success.

The ideations are limitless.

No comments: