Sunday, July 8, 2012

Power of Positive Thinking

As a part-time-freelancer-part-time-retiree I rarely get caught in traffic jams these days. But for years I commuted downtown via the East Shoreway. Whenever traffic slowed to a halt I couldn't resist the urge to jump off at the first exit and begin winding my way through the city.

To be honest I rarely made my destination any sooner than had I merely waited out the jam-up, but I felt better about it.

Now, if cities adopt a Stanford prof's scheme, this kind of initiative could lead to cash prizes. Drivers who help ease traffic congestion by altering their route would be entered in a daily lottery.

More evidence that I've often been ahead of the times, if not the traffic.

PR cliches

Even though I've spent a career in and around public relations, its simplicity still amazes me. In dealing with any crisis, all you have to do is use positive statements no matter how ironic they may be. A few cases in point:

Case #1:  An internet company has millions of its customer passwords compromised.

Spokesperson:  The security of our customer records is our top priority.

Case #2:  An energy company has an accident at a facility with disastrous consequences to the surrounding area and its inhabitants.

Spokesperson: The safety of our operations is our primary concern.

Case #3:  A financial services company is rocked by the fraudulant behavior of one or more high ranking executives.

Spokesperson:  We make it clear to all of our employees it is our policy to strictly follow all laws and regulations.

Any questions?

No comments: