Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Before there was tweeting there was posting

Apparently the Library of Congress now recognizes tweets as a literary form.

OMG! Having already poked mild fun at Twitter, I will probably come off as a presser of sour grapes, but -- if tweets, why not their precursors?

Post-it notes.

After all, post-it notes provided a bridge between our offline and online worlds -- such as the note posted on a computer screen telling the user to Check your e-mail.

Perhaps I inherit my regard for this tiny paper medium from my late mother, Dorothy, who chronicled much of her 90-year life on scraps salvaged from used envelopes, direct mail letters -- anything with a blank side.

There were the customary reminders to buy things, call people and send cards. But there were also everyday life events to record, as when she and my father, an Alzheimer's victim, sat near a respected physician at church:

Afterwards he kissed me on the cheek and said I was doing the right thing with Jim and to keep him busy and outside if possible.

Now if that doesn't deserve a place in the people's archive I don't know what does.

2 comments:

Bridget O'Malley and Laura Roth said...

Love this post, Dad. And don't worry, I have also inherited a regard for post-its. People can tell how stressed I am at work by the number of post-its all over my desk.

Mike Q said...

Aw, B, I think we all take everything too seriously sometimes. Look at it this way -- a volcano's probably going to get all of us anyway.