Monday, October 12, 2009

Stick to the subject - or someone could get lost

'Is anyone there?'One of the mistakes a speaker can make is to wander away from the theme. Soon the listeners won't know where they are or when they will get to the conclusion.

The same principle applies to hiking, a fact which became dramatically apparent to me last week.

I was making a short climb up Mount Jo in the Adirondacks near Lake Placid. The trail is somewhat steep and extremely rocky but well maintained by the Adirondack Mountain Club.

After enjoying the view from the summit I started down, intending to take another trail. Expecting to cross the trail at any moment, I foolishly continued until I realized I was getting further and further from the summit - and from the trail. To boot, the forest was growing thicker and thicker.

I was getting lost. Finally I realized the more I descended the farther away I would be from any trail.

Although it made progress all the more difficult, I forced myself to traverse the mountain, climbing as I went. I figured this was my best chance of finding the trail.

After more than two hours of clawing my way through thick undergrowth, avoiding holes, moss-covered rocks and other booby traps, I stumbled across the trail.

Like the audience does when a meandering speech finally makes its way to the end, I gave a huge sigh of relief.

2 comments:

John Ettorre said...

The Adirondacks sound pretty good right about now, Mike.

Mike Q said...

You said it!