Thursday, September 24, 2009

How are you celebrating National Punctuation Day?

The question was posted today on LinkedIn, an online social network for professionals, both freelance and fulltime.

Yes, there is such a day with its own website, the brainchild of an enterprising journalist who drew coverage in a score of newspapers including the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, the Chicago Tribune and the Boston Globe.

The LinkedIn question prompted more than 25 responses -- none from me however.

Punctuation's purpose in life is to help readers find their way through our prose, not to satisfy grammarians. If there is too much of it the sentences are probably too long and complex. Too many commas and other marks also slow the reader down. They're like hurdles to jump over.

In writing for the ear I use even less punctuation. The sentences are short. There is only one reader -- the speaker or announcer -- who may need direction for pacing and emphasis anyway.

So with all due respect to National Punctuation Day, punctuation is not something to celebrate. I think it's something to tolerate -- period.

8 comments:

Brendan said...

Couldnt agree with you more I have always considered punctuation overrated

Mike Q said...

I knew you were a discerning individual.

Bridget O'Malley said...

I'm going to celebrate it like this: Happy Birthday Dad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Q said...

Thanks, honey. Uh, you left out the comma. (Happy Birthday, Dad!)

John Ettorre said...

You're right on about the purpose of punctuation. I'll be sure to use that line myself, remembering to credit you, Mike. Thanks for that link, which I'd have otherwised missed. And finally, good to see you at the workshop on Saturday. Thanks for coming out on such an ugly Saturday morning.

Mike Q said...

Actually John you'd have had a tougher time getting me to come on a beautiful Saturday morning. But I knew it would be interesting.

Mike Q said...

Brendan --

I just looked at your post again. Can't believe I didn't catch it the first time.

John Ettorre said...

I hear you, Mike.