Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What's in a name?

Listening to The Sound of Ideas Monday morning on 90.3 WCPN, I was only mildly interested in the discussion of aging bridges - until I heard the names of the two guests and was moved to send an email.

"Did I hear correctly," I asked. "Are the names of the experts discussing the bridge over the Cuyahoga really 'Huckelbridge' and 'Broadwater?'"

Chuckling, host Gretchen Cuda assured me the two experts in fact were Arthur Huckelbridge, Associate Professor of Civil Engineering at Case Western Reserve University, and Jeff Broadwater, Project Manager at Michael Baker Jr., Inc.

Those are the best examples of how names can predestine a person for a career since I heard of the investigation into the "Hudson River" jet.

Identifying the birds that caused the accident was the National Museum of Natural History's Feather Identification Lab, whose director is Carla Dove.

No comments: